Lord,
Am I a liberal or a conservative? I believe the Bible is the standard for right and wrong. That makes me a conservative to the general society who feels right and wrong are determined by the individual. But the fact that I believe the New International Version and the New American Standard Version, though not perfect are generally valid translations, makes me a liberal to those who hold the King James Version above even the original Hebrew and Greek transcripts. I am a lacto-ova vegetarian. Those who eat meat may feel I am conservative. Those who would never eat eggs might feel I was a liberal. I believe and teach that Ellen White is a prophetess, yet I use the Bible for preaching. That makes me a conservative to those who see Ellen White as nothing more than a dedicated founder of our church, and a liberal to those who would use her writings as a preaching platform. If I described myself as a moderate the conservatives might define me as a compromised conservative, and the liberals might describe me as a liberal with a few hang ups.
Lord, how do I look at people? A conservative is someone who holds a standard above mine. A liberal is someone not holding a standard where I do. Help me to love people. Show me how to share my convictions in a way that draws others to a higher standard. Teach me to listen to others so that I might lay aside tradition and ceremony and embrace truth. Don’t let me hold as tests areas You have not held up. Don't let me ignore vital truths You have called me to live. Lord, free me from using myself as a standard for judging other people. Let me give them room to grow and recognize that only You know the heart. Help me to know what issues are essentials and which are peripheral, Help me to be a truth-committed, relationally oriented moderate.
Scripture Study
1. What label – conservative or liberal – would the Pharisees give Jesus for His association with tax collectors and sinners? Matthew 9:10-11.
Could you quote Scripture for their position? 1 Corinthians 15:33, Psalm 1:1
Does one text, represent the intent of Scripture?
What label - conservative or liberal - would the Pharisees place on Jesus for His not making and teaching His disciples to go through ritual washings? Mark 7:1:5
2. What label would the Pharisees give Jesus for cleansing the temple, conservative or liberal? John 2:15-16
What label would the Pharisees give Jesus' Sermon on the Mount teaching that they should turn the other cheek? Matthew 5: 39 How would the gentiles perceive Jesus for holding this standard?
Would Jesus' teaching that the Jews, even the religious ones, also needed to be born again, seem conservative or liberal? John 3: 3
3. Would I define Jesus as conservative or liberal?
What conservative standards of His society did He break? Why?
What liberal actions did He condemn?
Which does it seem Jesus did more:
A. Called for greater commitment and purer behavior"?
B. Called for less form, legalism, and empty formal ceremony?
Prayer
Lord, on both sides of the straight and narrow road loom ditches. Both extremes corrupt Your Gospel message. Give me grace and determination to care for people and stand for truth all at the same time. Give me insights to where I am not where you would want me? Put those who would aid in tempering my extremes into my life. Then give me the grace, humility and wisdom to learn from them. I want to be gracious without sacrificing principle. I want to stand firm without judging others. Help me to keep balanced, committed, and kind. Make me like You.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment