Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 31- FAILED

Ezekiel 37
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Lord, I have failed. Not just an "oops," but big time. And I knew better. I have asked forgiveness. Yet I still seem so dead. I am as embarrassed as a child caught in a lie. I am as disheartened as a computer pro who pushed the wrong button and lost a lifetime's work with no back up. I understand the feelings of the son of a big league ballplayer who strikes out in that all-important game after all the coaching, the practice, the successes. I've failed. I've not just failed the game, I've failed You. And that, after all my promises to leave the world behind. I am the daughter trained by her famous-chef father. Under his supervision tantalizing treats and tasty tidbits graced the table. But at the specially-hosted dinner party a burnt offering was all I could manage.

What must my failures do to Your name and cause? What effect does my failure have on the searching, undecided hearts of earth, the hosts of heaven, and the demonic accusers of hell?

Yes, I know it is my fault. I am double-minded I am self-willed. I am undisciplined. I am self-reliant, I am filled with sin. I make poor choices. I have no one to blame but myself. But where do I go to find comfort? Is all lost? Are life and hope removed? I am discouraged with myself. I am spiritually dry. I am dead.

Lord, as I search Your word I look at those who had failed. Moses murdered, yet You forgave him. Gideon was a whining coward, yet You used him to deliver Your people. Jonah was a run away, and You brought him back. David was an adulterer, but You healed his brokenness and used him as King. Peter walked with You and denied You, yet You called him again, to feed Your sheep. Samson was a strong, repeat sexual-sinner, but You filled him at the eleventh hour with You Spirit to do incredible things.

Remind me that I may have lost the round but the fight's not over. Take me back. Lift me up. Breathe a second wind into these dry bones!

Scripture Study – Read Ezekiel 37:1-14
1.       The dry bones illustrated the condition of Israel. Israel had failed God.

Idolatry                                            Ezekiel 15:8
Disobeyed God’s Laws                    Ezekiel 5:7
Killed and became violent                 Ezekiel 11:6
Refused God’s discipline                   Ezekiel 20:8, 13, 21
Sacrificed their children                     Ezekiel 20:31
Shameful sexual acts                         Ezekiel 22:6-12
Extortion, bribery                              Ezekiel 22:12

They had lost in battle to the enemy. They were being punished for their sin. Where have I failed God?
 

2.       What does God ask Ezekiel? Ezekiel 37:8

Paraphrased it might say. "Can those who have spiritually failed be renewed''

3.       How would Israel answer? Ezekiel 37: 11

How does the prophet answer? Ezekiel 37:3

How does God answer? Ezekiel 37:12

Does God hold out hope for me?

4.       After Israel recognized their sin. God used Ezekiel to speak hope. Who speaks God's word of hope to me?

What part do scripture and the Holy Spirit play in revival? Ezekiel 37:4

5.       God desires for us to know one thing through this renewal. What is it? Ezekiel 37:6, 13, 14.

Prayer:
 Lord, thank you that when I have failed You and reach rock bottom, you are there. When I have disobeyed and shamed You, You can bring renewal. When I am dead in sin, You can bring life even when none thought it possible. I accept Your word is true. You will raise me back to life through the Holy Spirit. I know that You are Lord.
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment