Titus 3:3-8
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Lord, as long as I can remember I have been driven. I’ve pushed for the top of the list, “B" was not good enough. Second place in the race was for those who lost to number one. If my first push didn't make the grade, then I increased energy, effort, and time investment until I achieved the goal. If I failed in that area to be super, then I withdrew, and put my effort in an area where I would excel.
It's so much a part of us to want people to care about us. I translated others' approval of me into my value. So I preformed hard to be admired. I was an honor student, a cross country record holder, a night manager, an obedient son. Like a circus performer I mastered my tricks for the applause of the crowd,
Then Lord, You came into my life. You became my first priority audience. I wanted to earn your love.
Lord, I've tried real hard to be kind
I've struggled to control the thoughts of my mind
I study, share, pray
I increase in doing every day.
Now with all the effort that I've made
Please let me know do I make the grade?
Have I won your approval with my frantic pace?
When you look me over, is there a smile from your face?
What's that dear Lord, You've loved me from the start.
You cared for me before I asked You in my heart
I find it hard to believe it's really true
You couldn't Jove me more, no matter what I do.
Don't worry Lord, I won't use this as an excuse to sin
In fact this acceptance may help me to begin
To give you the praise, love, and joy You deserve.
As Your acceptance frees me to really serve.
Scripture Study
Read Titus 3:3-8
1. According to this passage, who saved us? Titus; 3: 5
Did He save us based on our performance?
Do I experience acceptance because Christ has saved me?
2. What is our hope based on His salvation? Titus 3:7
3. How did God bring salvation according to Titus 3:5?
What does the "washing of regeneration~ and renewing mean to you?
4. Is there a change in our deed and actions because of God’s free gift Titus 3:3-4.
What effect does Titus hope the news about the grace of God will have on those who believe? Titus 3:8
How does Titus view the attitude of those who know God, toward good deeds? Titus 2: 14
What is my attitude to works or good deeds?
Prayer
Lord I have come to grips with my personality that for me I am a driven doer. In reality, I like accomplishing things, it brings me joy. But today I am reminded that my performance is not my measure of value to You. I rest from the weighty burden of trying to gain Your approval and collapse into your arms of acceptance. Thank you, God, that I cannot earn Your love, but that it flows freely. That though You enjoy my accomplishments they do not add one iota to the amount that You love me. How can anything I do increase Your love when You already love me unconditionally, irrevocably, untiringly, unashamedly, sacrificially, unreservedly. totally and completely. All I can add is… my appreciation, my gratitude, my sense of awe at Your Love. Thank you, Dad. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment