Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 29- THE CHURCH

PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Lord,
I wish You were physically back on this earth leading Your Church. Sometimes I feel Your church is failing. It has grown comfortable gorging itself on the milk of the Word. And when someone comes close, it rushes the milk back in refrigerated reclusion before outsiders can “steal “ a drop. It rests on the laurels of growth statistics from developing countries and pats itself on the back for its accomplishments. I want to shake my finger at its committee "hot air” brakes that all but stop progress. I tire of programmed zeal and hype campaigns. I am frustrated at the irrelevant, predictable, plodding that has so little impact on the world it was called to serve. It has lost its unique message and like a chameleon is fitting in with the world by adapting to its surroundings. Its virus-like politics sicken me. It mechanically produces robots who can repeat the doctrines in staccato perfection and yet whose hearts are cold, stony metal. Lord, I stand ready to strike a condemning blow at the falling church and move out on my own.

GOD TO ME
 My Child,
Before you strike the blow, realize that you are the church. At least in part. It is not some outside body; it is a body to whom you are attached. It is my body, and I am still the head. I have showered my blessing upon the church. Though it may seem feeble, non-functional, and tottering, Satan and the powers of hell will not, cannot, make it fall. It prevails regardless of the appearance.  The building does not encompass my mouse. 

Nor do the twenty eight fundamental doctrines envelop the church. My people yielding to my spirit and willing to live by each truth I reveal to them make up my church. Don’t suppose that all who claim to be mine really are because they hold membership on paper or claim the title of Christian. So you may be condemning a group that are really not the church. But don't write someone off too quickly--a growing Peter may be faltering, but he is not a Judas. My disciples seemed to be failing for three years, even as they walked with me. But I saw them through. The Holy Spirit gave them vision, and thousands were added in a day. Take heart.

Lord,
Forgive me! I accept the "call out" of lukewarmness, and worldliness. I want to be your church. I desire Your heart in caring for others. Replace my stony heart; give me grace to grow and allow others to grow. Touch my life with faith to believe You are still in control. Let me earnestly study to bring the truth to others. Give me humility to respect those whom You have set in positions of authority. May I sacrifice self for the good of the body. Let me do my part so Your church may function as You design.

Scripture Study
1.       The church as a temple (1 Peter 2:4-6)

What was the purpose of the temple?

How does that fit with the mission of the church?

What does this metaphor tell us about the relationship of God to the church?

Does God dwell in me?

2.       The Church as a Bride (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:25-27)

How does someone become a bride?

How does that relate to church membership?

What is the picture of Christ's relationship to the church?

Am I in intimate relationship with God?

3.       The Church as a Pillar & Foundation of Truth (1 Timothy 3: 15)

What responsibility does the church have toward truth?

How do the images of salt and light relate to the church?

How important do I count truth?

Should acceptance of a certain body of truth be essential for membership into body? (See Matthew 18)

Prayer
Lord, it is easy to see the organization and be disappointed with it.   I see it faulty, self serving, so human. How come I see church as “them” instead of recognizing it as “us”?  The amazing thing, You use us with our inconsistencies, our failing humanity, our stunted ability to learn.  You have meant this community to be a body of broken healers. A support group of those journeying together toward the Kingdom.  A collection of guilty sinners who have tasted grace.  This is not just a self support group or peer support group… You do more than just direct or consult, You head this group.  We are intricately tied to you.  Thank you that I can belong to You and Your people the Church.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment