PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Dear Lord,
Thank you for this Sabbath day. All day let me remember its Sabbath by the choices I make and the way that I live. Sometimes I forget; I just let the day happen. Sometimes I forget what the day was intended for and I me use it as a holiday instead of a holy day. I use it for playing more than praying. Remind me that You have came to be with me in a unique way. I don't want to take that for granted. Remind me that others might come to see You depending on how I spend Your Sabbath Day. Give me wisdom and insight into my motives for choosing the day’s activities.
This Sabbath, let me remember the truths You've built into this day, Remind me You are the Creator and I am your creature (Genesis 2:1-3). Remind me that You are in control and that You are my Provider (Exodus 16). Remind me all humanity has come from Your hand and regardless of race, age, sex, religion, income, or social status we are all equal (Exodus 20:10). Remind me that You are the Author of time and You have called me to serve in Your kingdom (Matthew 12:12), Remind me that Your mission to save all possible from Satan, sin and their effects, is my mission also (Luke 4: 16-19). Remind me that You can deliver me from evil as surely as You did the Israelites. You are my Deliverer (Deuteronomy 5:15). Remind me that obedience is a part of the Christian life that brings blessings (Isaiah 58:13-14). Remind me to display the Sabbath as a mark of Your Lordship (Ezekiel 20:12, 20). Remind me that You are the only source of salvation, and that You have completed the sacrifice necessary to cover all sin. Remind me that You have lived and died and rested in a complete atonement for my sins (Luke 23:50-56). Remind me that this present earth is temporary, that You are coming again, and that I will bow before You in eternity (Isaiah 66:22-24). Remind me so that when others are pushing me to draw away, this day will be a continual connection to true worship (Revelation 13:11-18; 14-12).
Lord, help me to remember the Sabbath day so 1 won't forget all the important truths You have tied to it.
Scripture Study
1. What was the purpose of preparing the meal before Sabbath? Exodus 16:23
As I go through this Sabbath day, what things might I do to give me more time, to focus on my relationship with God?
What does God say about working on this day? Exodus 20:9-11
2. What does God say about it being a play day? Isaiah 58:13
As I choose activities, for the Sabbath I must ask myself honesty “Is this merely for my own pleasure? Or is it means of drawing near to God?"
What about going to the lake, walking around the lake, wading in the lake, swimming in the lake, boating in the lake, skiing in the lake, having water competition at the lake? Can some of these be a means or drawing closer to God? Do some of the detract from the Sabbath’s purpose?
Is the most common motive in this activity to grow closer to God or purely to have fun?
Is the fact that I am building a relationship with another person reason enough to allow a "play” or “for-pleasure only" activity?
Would building a relationship be a valid reason for working on the Sabbath?
Would using this day as a family day, with no reference to God outside of church be fulfilling God’s purpose in the day?
Do more sedate activities like sitting around the living room visiting ensure growth in spirituality?
Do I push the lines of the Sabbath?
Do I by conversation lift people to Jesus?
3. Was the Sabbath-day intended to be a drudgery? Isaiah 58:13-14
Should there be enjoyment in growing toward God?
What are some "good" things could do [or someone else on the Sabbath? Matthew 12:12
Are all good things acceptable to do on the Sabbath?
Isn't earning a living a good thing?
Is God calling us to build up someone else's temporal kingdom?
Would Christian Service like talking in someone's laundry and doing it, or building their house be acceptable on Sabbath?
While Jesus gave life on the Sabbath does Scripture record any time He performed a miracle or acted merely to benefit earthly wealth?
Where am I in the spectrum of how I use the Sabbath?
Used to Used to
Draw to God Bring secular bring others to Him pleasure or gain self
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prayer
Lord, Thank You for this precious day. Let me make it count.
Amen

No comments:
Post a Comment