GOD SPEAKS TO ME
Little lamb, I am the good Shepherd I am not like the hireling who runs at the first sign of danger. I own you. You are my sheep, I treasure you. I will stand against the thief, the wolf, or Satan himself, if need be. You can find security in me. Think of me like the gate that allows you to go in and out to pasture, but closes against the enemy. I am a protecting Shepherd. (John 10:7-18).
In my arms I will gather the lambs. I will gently lead the nursing ewes. My heart is touched by the needs of the weak. So with each sign, each tear of pain, each stumbling fall, recognize my heart is melted in compassion. I will carry you when you are too weak to walk on your own. I will hold you close to the beating pulse of life in my chest. I will be especially near. Do you sense my presence? How will I carry you? I will carry you with assurance that I am present. I will carry you with the knowledge that I am in control. I will carry you with a fountain of love that flows up from within. (Isaiah 40:11).
I will take care of you, You can walk through the valley of the shadow of death with me, and not be afraid. I will instruct you with the rod leading you in the right direction, and save you from your wanderings with the staff: (Psalm.23:4). You can hear my voice; it will direct you in the way to go. Get to know it. It will save you from being stolen away. (John 10:5,8). And if you should wander, and end up lost, I will come after you. I won’t wait for you to find me, or to decide to come back. I will pursue you. And you do not need to clean yourself up. You do not need to prove to me you are my lamb. Simply fall again into my arms, and I will carry you. You are not just a number to me, one of my 100 sheep. You are special. I would not be complete without you nor would my flock. All heaven rejoices when one little wandering lamb falls back into my arms. (Luke 15:4-6).
Scripture study
We have looked at the Image of God as a Shepherd,
Now let us search the image of God as a Father.
Read Luke 15:11-32
1. How does the Father treat the son’s request for his inheritance?
How does the Father deal with this upon his return?
How does the Father deal with this older son’s rebellion?
What does this story tell us about God as Father?
2. Is it God's natural desire to give us good gifts? Luke 11:13.
What role of the Father is represented here? 1 Samuel 7:14.
Are you comfortable with God the Father in that role?
How does the role of Father and Potter compare? Isaiah 64: 8.
What is the main attribute you would ascribe to a Father? Compare 1 John 3:1.
(More Father imagery, John 14:1-31; Isaiah 1:2; Psalm 68:5; Isaiah 68:16; Jeremiah 3:19)
Write yourself a note from God using the images picked up from this brief look at the Father;
My Experience And Prayer
I find myself at times the Lamb having carelessly chased the butterfly’s of pleasure through the world’s meadows. At first not recognizing my lost condition I wandered the fields of discovery thinking myself fortunate to have stumbled on this wonderful foreign world. But as darkness settles in and I press through the briars I feel the stinging tears on my sides. I shiver in the bleek coldness and cry out. I recognize too late the wonders of the home I had taken for granted. I fall down the precipice and spend the night alone, hungering, and aching for your presence. And when I find myself too disoriented confused, weak, and embarrassed to find my way home I hear your voice calling my name as you come seeking me. Tears of joy pour down my face. You scoop me up and pour oil on my wounds and put me over your shoulders, up where I am protected, with the vulnerable parts covered, with the warmth of your body restoring me and with You carrying me. Thank you for taking me back and now Gentle Shepherd lead me so that I will not wander. Kind Father hold me close to Your heart.
Amen

No comments:
Post a Comment