Daniel 9:14-19
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
My Lord,
I've studied, read Scripture and listened to testimonies about prayer. You have convicted me of two things. I don't pray continually (l Thessalonians 5:17). I don't have a conscious connection with You that I dialogue through the day. Nor do I pray for things I should.
Yes, I pray for the crises, needs, and I pray for general things on a daily basis. But I've lost the vision of prayer being an ongoing conversation between us through the day.
Lord, in a group a few weeks back we went around and shared our appreciation for each other. We named qualities of character we saw and admired in each other. Yet, how long it has been since I have shared with You my admiration through praise.
Thank you for caring for me when I am negligent. I know it hurts You for me to take advantage of our friendship and not give love but only take it. I admire that You don't pout, withdraw, or flame up in rage. Your consistency is one of Your greatest traits (Malachi 3:6). Your ability and willingness to give with little return reveals Your generosity. Lord, praise You for who You are and what You've done.
I know I keep setting my own agenda. I launch ahead, at my own pace. I repent of my self-centeredness. I confess I have failed this last week to listen for Your direction. I do want your Holy Spirit to direct my life and lead me. Help me to listen for Your voice. Teach me, Lord, to walk in Your way (Psalm 86:11). Help me stay in connection with You so it is "we," instead of “I," acting. Please forgive me; I ask You to crucify my selfish nature.
Lord, I have asked You for power to change me to be like You. I have other needs as well. I ask because I know You desire to give good gifts to Your children (Luke 11:13). Lord, we need finances to get the van fixed. But there are other needs. Lord, our church has financial needs. We need unity and power for commitment. Help members in our church family to sense their responsibility for the work. Please direct us in how we can share our connection with You. Lord, I ask for healing for those in the hospital this week. They are .... I pray for those who are making choices for you, so many are on the edge of decision. Those on my prayer list are …
Lord, I pray this all in Your name. I yield to Your sovereignty. I do not know best. Whatever You feel should happen in these cases, I give myself over to You. Speak to me. All my talents, time, possessions, my very strength and life are at Your disposal. Use me. I pause to listen to Your direction; through Your voice direct my inner thoughts.. . I am open to Your guidance. Today through Your Word or a spiritual friend, I am Yours, Amen.
Scripture Study
The elements of today's prayer devotional are a model for prayer. Not every prayer will have all of the elements, but having them in mind can be helpful.
P = Praise to God
R = Repentance
A = Asking for self and other
Y = Yielding
Read Daniel 9:4-19
Go back through and mentally ascribe one or more of these letters to each verse.
1. Did Daniel confine himself to praise at the beginning of his prayer?
What verses show praise to God?
2. Was Daniel's repentance and confession general or specific?
Did he include-himself in the nation's sin?
What sins of the nation, the church, or our family should we be confessing?
Does Daniel hold out some merit of his people to inspire God to forgive? 9: 18
3. Does God speak to Daniel? Danie19:22
Even though God might not send an angel does He answer us?
4. You might look at the Lord's Prayer to search out the same elements. Matthew 6:9-13
Prayer
Lord, teach me to pray. Thoughtfully, openly, deeply, and faithfully In Christ's Name. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment