Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 24- OBEDIENCE

PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Noah built an ark on dry ground, never having seen rain. He had it. (Genesis 6:22) Caleb stood ready to lead the Israelite nation into a land of giants. He had a different spirit from the rest. (Numbers 14:24) He lived it. Good King Hezekiah destroyed altars of idols in high places and restored the order of levitical priests. He showed it. (2 Chronicles 31:20-21) When God's people were in sin at Baal Peor, Phinehas stayed the plague by executing judgment. (Numbers 25:6-7; Psalm 106:30) It moved him. Without it there would be no story of a fiery furnace or Daniel in the lion's den. (Daniel S. 6) They modeled it. Without it Joseph would have abandoned Mary, and Paul would have been groping as a blind man in Damascus, (Matthew 1:24; Acts 9:10-12) Lord, give me obedience.
Obedience, when I hear the word I mentally cringe. It sounds so legalistic. But that’s because I have tried in the past to gain my acceptance with You through my performance. Lord. I thank you that You have provided my salvation. But Lord, I know that I am not released from keeping Your laws. I need to learn that obedience is not merely outward compliance, but a service of love. (STC 60) I want you to write that love in my heart. Let obedience be the fruit of our connection. My thoughts, my feelings, my motives and actions I surrender to You to control, I reject the temptation to use your grace and mercy to continue in sin. I know Your kindness was meant to draw me to repentance. (Romans 2:4.)
Heart obedience is the only obedience acceptable to You. Not mere compliance, but an inner burning desire to please You, to live for You, to allow others to see You through me, to get closer to You. Lord the song says it: "I will serve You because I love You, You have given life to me."
Scripture Study
1 John 2:1-14
1.       When l am feeling guilty and condemned, what hope does GOO hold out? 1 John 2:1

Has the price for today's sin already been paid? 1 John 2:2

If sins of others are forgiven as well, how does: that reflect on how I should treat them? 1 John 2:2

2.       How do I know if I know Him? 1 John 2:5

How do I walk as Jesus did? Psalm 40:8; John 15:10

3.        How did Jesus make the old command to love your neighbor (Leviticus 19:18) really new?  John 13:34, 85; 15:13

How could I live this love specifically today?

4.       Do I accept as a child that "my sins are forgiven on account of His name?" 1 John 2:12

Do I know Jesus and the Father? Have I seen their righteousness? 1 John 2:13-14.

Do I allow the word of God to live in me to give me strength to overcome the evil one in Christ? 1 John 2:13-14

Prayer
Lord, I obey from the heart.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment