Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 3- ON FIRE

 Luke 18
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL:
Jesus, I have accepted You as Savior in my life. I thank You for what You have done. But help me to also place You as Lord. I do want the forgiveness You bring for my sin. I also want the transformation You bring so that I don’t continue in sin. I want Your power and rulership. I want Your vision. Control me.
I don’t want just to add You to my busy life while I pursue life as normal. I want You to add me to Your list of submitted solders. Let me be a tool in Your hand. Lord, help me to subtract from my life anything that doesn’t fit with Your kingdom or plan for my life. Help me make a difference in the world. Let me be a messenger for You, not a monk. I want to be a reformer, not a recluse.
Lord, give me marching order. I know there is a mission field all around me. Don’t let me get so caught up in earning a living that I don’t have time to minister to people. Show me what pursuits, what possession, what projects must go so I have time, energy and the possibility of living my life in Your pattern.
Sometimes, Dear God, I’ve wanted to visit at Your house, take in Your hospitality eat at Your table, but not have any responsibilities of being part of Your family. No meal preparation, no cleaning, no dishes. Yet I’ve also felt somewhat left out. Yes Lord, I live in a cold, dark world. I have drawn close to You as a warming light. The light, as I draw near, exposes my imperfections. Its rays burn away my impurities. Naturally, I draw back, not wanting the burning process, even though it ultimately heals. It’s sometimes easier to endure the pain than face the operation. After a while, the pain, cold and darkness bring me back. I try to get close enough to You to be warmed, but not so close as to be set on fire. Save me from being  lukewarm.
God, today I surrender the comfort zone. I am ready to be purified, set on fire. Give me the marching orders, and I will move ahead. My possessions, my pursuits, my popularity, my projects, my perspective, my whole person is under Your control. Set me on fire.
Scripture Study:
Read Luke 18:18-30.
1.      
      What questions did the rich young ruler bring? (18:18)
                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Was he concerned about spiritual things?


Does the ruler seem to think salvation comes by a person or a group of activities?

Does he recognize Jesus as God? (18:19)

2.       Why might Jesus quote commandments that focus on loving man? (18:20)

What was the one thing that the rich young ruler lacked?

What is the ultimate goal Jesus has for the rich young ruler? (18:22)

If there was one thing God would ask me to subtract so I could follow Him, what would it be?

3.       Why was the ruler sad?

How do I respond when Jesus asks something from me?

What is there that is more valuable than eternal life?

How am I trying to have both worlds?

4.       According to the story, who can be saved?
a.       Those who are living good, moral lives.
b.      Only those who follow in full surrender to God.

Am I trying to earn the kingdom?

Is it possible for me to earn it?

5.       Does following God only brings us blessings in heaven? (18:30)

Prayer
                Lord, set me ablaze in Your Spirit.  I recognize that in order to surrender to Your Lordship I need to surrender the following things in my life….
 

God nothing seems more important to me than relationships.  I find that I need to trust that You love the following people as much as I do and trust them in your care…..    

Lord bring to my mind any relationship I need to change or break in order to fully follow You.

Set me ablaze Lord, with the fire of passion of living fully, completely, unreservedly for You.
                                                                                                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment