Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 19- SPIRIT WALK

John 16
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Dear Holy Spirit,
It seems strange praying to You. I am used to praying to the Father through Jesus. I generally have an intellectual understanding that You are there. That You are speaking my heart's desire. That You are the God who takes the passions of my heart and connects me with the heart of God.
I am so prone to wander. I wander to the world, I wander into sin. I wander from You, God. It is You who brings the mirror of the Law to show me my filthiness and points me to the Source of cleansing. It's You, who, when I question my real commitment, strengthens me to commit again. It's You who quiets the deep, running fear that maybe my sin has closed salvation's door. You are the Spirit of Truth. That truth not only reveals my sin but points me to my Savior. I cry out with David, "Holy Spirit! Do not leave me."
I ask for You to live in me today. I lay all the plans of today at Your feet. If necessary radically redirect me as you did Paul with the Macedonian call (Acts 16:9-10). Yes, Lord, lead me. I have only my great need to commend me to You. I want You to live in me so fully that I will do the right thing as naturally as the flowers turn toward the sun. Help me to be drawn to right like the birds to south in winter.
Holy Spirit, take control. Take what needs to be removed from my life. Do whatever is necessary to have it happen. I dislike pain. But the surgeon's knife is sometimes necessary to save the whole. Remove the cancer of sin. And then come again as my Comforter and Companion. Lift me when I fall. Show me the practice of walking in a new life. Come alongside me as my Guide, Teacher, Friend, and Mentor. I want a Spirit Walk.
Scripture Study
Read John 16:5-11
1.       What are the three areas in which the Spirit will convict us?

How is sin connected to disbelief in God?

If we fully trusted all that God has promised, would we sin?

Holy Spirit convict me of:
Sins of commission: Things I have done that broke God's law. (1 John 3:4)
Sins of omission: Things I have not done that I know I should. (James 8:17)
Known sin: Sins I am willfully committing. The Bible calls this presumptuous sinning, transgression, high-handed sinning (Psalm 19: 13).
Unknown sin: Sins where I am not aware that l am going against Your will. (1 Timothy 1:18, Psalm. 14:12)
Weights: Anything that is placing distance between the Lord and me. This may not be a sin for others, but it is a hindrance in my walk. (Hebrews 12: 1)
2.       Where do I find the standard of righteousness? John 16:10

Since I cannot directly see Jesus how can You, Holy Spirit, convict me of His righteousness?

What human being do I admire most fur their righteousness and purity?

Am I using them or even some lesser standard to test my righteousness?

3.       Do I believe that Satan has been judged?  John 16:1

Do I believe God has power over him?

Do l make excuses for my sin saying I'm powerless?

Do I accept Satan’s plan as better, more fun, more beneficial in any area, than God’s?

Prayer:
Holy Spirit, convict me of sinfulness that I might understand its impact. Convict me concerning righteousness that I might see Holiness through the life of Christ. Convict me that You have given me a new life by breaking Satan's hold.                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment