Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 17- CHANGING MASTERS

                                                                                                                                                                                         Romans 6
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL:
Lord, I have been a slave to sin. Satan cracked the whip and I jumped. The sinful flesh expressed a whim, and I rushed to fulfill its desires and gain its pleasure, at first I didn’t recognize I was under this task master. I thought I was free. But I was only free from righteousness, purity, and holiness (Romans 6:20). The shackles of selfishness, pride and gratification bound me. The acts I preformed on their service are humiliatingly degrading.
Then Christ, You purchased me from the auction block, with Your own precious blood (1 Peter 1: 18-19). You recognized value in me when everyone else saw only damaged goods. You set me free from forced service and placed genuine gratitude in my heart so that I might serve You.
But Lord, I still live on the same earthly plantation. And though I am free and You have placed all heaven at my disposal to ensure my freedom,  I tremble when old-master Satan roars. Sometimes I forget I'm free. I respond by habit. The devil whispers in my ear that my freedom was all a delusion, a fairy tale dream. Even though others encourage me to keep You as Master,  I return to living in the shackles and rags, listening to the Devil's orders. Why would I do that, unless I somehow thought serving him was better? And it’s not.
Lord, I accept that I am free from sin. It shall no longer have mastery, over me (Romans 6: 11, 22). I do not have to serve it. No sin can hold me unless I choose.it over You (Romans 6:14). Thank You for giving me a desire from the heart for You and what's right (Romans 6: 17). I understand that I choose who will be my master by choosing to live for You, or not (Roman 6:16). I choose, purity. I choose righteousness. I choose eternal life. I choose all that is honorable, right, noble, and good. I choose You.
SCRIPTURE READING
Read Romans 8:1-17
Below is a graphic contrast between the fleshly and the spiritual life.

Flesh


Law powerless over weak, sinful nature.
Condemned in sin.
Mindset on natural desires.
Mindset is death.
Hostile to God
Not Subject to law
Not able to submit
Cannot please God
Doesn’t have Spirit so does not belong to God




Result is death

Spirit
No condemnation for those in Christ.
Set free from law of sin and death.

Righteous requirements of the law met
Mind set on desires of the Spirit
Mindset is life and peace




Christ inside
Body dead because of sin
Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead also gives life to mortal bodies
Obligations not to sinful nature to live according to it
Spirit puts to death the misdeeds
You will live
Sons of God
Not receive Spirit of fear makes slaves
Spirit sonship
Cry father
Spirit confirms we are God’s children
Heirs


Sometimes I have almost come to believe that the life in the Spirit existed only as an ideal but not as a reality.   I find it challenging but hopeful that this Holy Spirit fused life remains a possibility no indeed an expectation of genuine Christianity.  The two lives blatantly appose each other in contrast and do not allow for a middle of the road quasi existence. 

1.        Where am I living currently?

Who, or what occupies my thought life?

What will be the results?

What life will I choose?

How does this chapter indicate I can gain the spirit life?

Prayer
Lord, You are my Master. I submit to You.
                                                                                                                                                                    Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment