2 Kings 5; Judges 16
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL:
Lord, as I look at my prayers and priorities, I realize I haven't wanted to be part of the supportive cast. I’ve wanted to be the star. I don't want to be backup; I want to be lead singer. Who would settle for being water boy instead of quarter-back? I suppose a laborer would be okay, but I would prefer being the boss. Lord, I've always believed You have had a plan in my life, and I'll bet it's big.
As I think of John the Baptist, I wonder if in "my present heart condition" I would be able to say, "He must increase, but I must decrease," It cost John his disciples. His ministry was never quite as glowing after that. Attention was turned from him. Help me to say, “Yes, Lord”, to lift You up over myself. “Yes, Lord”, I do want You to be the center. I could step aside, off center stage for You, but for a brother?
Andrew was known as Simon Peter's brother. (John 1:40) He seems like a real behind-the-scenes sort of person. What would have happened if he had been more concerned about Jesus doing something great to make him the star, instead of seeing how he could lift someone else into Jesus' presence? Wouldn't Jesus’ life be different without Peter?
Lord, I believe I touch other's lives too. Help me to see how I can help them in the role to which You've called them. How can I be a supportive cast member for the drama of their life? I want to be a Melanthan for the Luther You have called, I am willing to play second fiddle. I will be “the wind beneath their wings" to bring them soaring toward heaven.
Scripture Survey:
After looking up each Bible text, record the following:
1. Whose life was affected by this person?
How, for good or bad?
2. What character traits, are illustrated in their lives?
3. What was the servant's motivation for treating the star of the story?
4. Did this servant risk or sacrifice anything?
5. How was this servant's relationship to God?
The Little Maid - 2 Kings 5:2-3
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Delilah – Judges 16
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Action Line:
List some of the people in your support group (Family, friends, and work associates).
Are you praying for God use you in their lives?
What specific things can you do to encourage or support them in their work, ministry, or role in life?
Prayer
God, teach me humility and living for others.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment