Esther 4
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Lord,
Give me a vision. Not just something to talk about but something to do. Where do you want me living? What would you have me accomplish? What do you want me to do for your kingdom? I am unsure whether what I want is for my glory or yours. And at times when I know the direction, I am crippled by fear. I fear failure and being laughed at, I shun the sacrifice that is demanded to obtain my goal. Lord, I need these four things desperately: Wisdom, to know which peak for which to aim for. Strength to climb the mountain. Perseverance to keep me through the valleys. Faith to recognize I walk with You.
How Luther must have prayed for wisdom as he proclaimed the truth to a church who said, "Conform or else." What strength of character and body it must have taken for Dr. David Livingston to enter the remote, unentered hearts of Africa . And the perseverance of Samuel Morse who developed not only the Morse code but the telegraph and had it rejected by three countries, astonishes me. Lord, while the Israelites saw Goliath as too big to hit, David through faith saw him as too big to miss.
Give me a ready plan for the mission You have laid in my heart so that when some resource is available, like Nehemiah speaking to King Artaxerxes, I might be ready to pour out my need. (Nehemiah 2:5-8) Lord, keep me steadily moving toward the mark and You can accomplish it in me, just as sure as the snail made it on the ark. Give me the determination to drive the road toward the vision and not park in the lot of mediocrity.
Let me walk toward the goal as sure as Christ walked toward Jerusalem , Don't let me be pulled aside by the applause of the crowd. May I be so attuned that I can trade the parade in the street, or my name in lights, for the splash of water being poured in a basin. May service to You be my vision as truly as Christ, God incarnate, washed the dirt from the feet of the undeserving disciple, And should the vision lead me like Him to the cross for an ungrateful world, may my prayer be as His, "not my will but Yours he done."
Scripture Study
Read Esther 4
1. When the Jews lives were threatened, how did they feel? Esther 4:3
What actions did the Jewish nation take?
What did Mordecai do besides pray and fast?
Does this seem political or manipulative to you?
Does Mordecai suggest this is what God has directed him to do? Esther 4:1-3.
2. What are Esther's options?
How might the fact that Esther is both a Jew and a queen effect her position?
Is there a cost, or a possibility that Esther will fail? Esther 4:11.
3. How does Mordecai suggest that God has equipped Esther for this work? Esther 4:14
Does Esther feel she has the strength alone? Esther 4:15-17.
What does Esther do to show she is seeking God's will and favor? Esther 4:16.
4. What position has God placed me in?
What relationships do you have to build God's Kingdom and strengthen His people?
What cost are you willing to endure to accomplish God's work? (Cost of time, friends, hobbles, position?)
What have you done to seek God's will for you?
Prayer

No comments:
Post a Comment