Hebrews 3:12 – 4:13
PRAYER DEVOTIONAL
Dear Lord,
The week has been a hectic one. I certainly need a rest. Yes, a rest physically from hard labor, the everyday grind. But Lord, please help me not to sleep away the day. We sometimes tease about “lay activities" being not lay outreach but "lying" down for a nap. Help me to balance my schedule so I am awake and alert to meet with You. How would any other friend feel if I slept away the time we have scheduled for each other?
Lord, I need the Sabbath day to rest from striving to make my mark on the world. The trials at work, the challenges, my performance occupy my mind. Sometimes I get confused and think my life is my work. I forget occasionally who is truly in control of my future, whether that is popularity, promotion, or poverty. I work sometimes like it's all up to me and I feel the strain of that burden. You provided manna bread for the Israelites in the wilderness (Exodus 16). You have demonstrated that just as You care for the sparrow and the lily. You care for me. (Matthew 6:25-34) I rest from frantically trying to control my destiny.
Lord, I rest from entertaining and pleasuring myself with the toys of the world. Anything that does not give my mind freedom to focus on You I put aside on this day. I rest from these things, that might be good in themselves but break the intent of our communion on this day,
Lord, I rest from my effort to earn Your acceptance by my behavior. I rest from my preoccupation with rules to find the relationship. I rest from the self-doubt, anger, fears, and egotism. I rest from self-direction, self-talk, self-delusion and self-fulfilling to find Your will, and Your presence.
I rest in You, Your power, Your presence, Your promises. I rest in Your grace, Your gift from Jesus, and I pour out gratitude Lord, I rest in You.
Scripture Study
Hebrews 3:12 – 4:13
1. In what verses do you find rest referring to ...
a. Seventh-day commemorating creation ____________________________________
b. The promised land of Canaan ___________________________________________
c. Peace with God through faith relationship with Jesus ________________________
d. Future eternal life with Christ ___________________________________________
2. What kept the Israelites from entering the “rest” of Canaan ? Hebrews 3:18-19; 4:16
What might keep us from entering the "rest" of eternal life? Hebrews 4:11
3. What are the "works" from which we are to rest to enter the rest of the Sabbath?
What are the "works" from which we are to rest to enter the rest of eternal life? Hebrews 4:9-10
What benefit does Jesus being our High Priest have on our having victory over sin? Hebrew 4:14-16
Prayer
Lord my rest is in You.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment